Tuesday 24 March 2009

Setting up the nursery

With my sling choices sorted, the next job to do was to set up the nursery, where they would be spending the coming months as spiderlings.

My plan was to get hold of eight spiderling pots and place them in an Exo Terra faunarium, which would be heated by a heat mat. Luckily, my Dad had a spare heat mat which fitted the the faunarium perfectly. I decided to place the heatmat on the side of the faunarium, and NOT underneath. Whilst this topic is still hotly debated, it is a popular belief that under tank heating can actually kill a tarantula through dehydration.

After checking the heat mat was working, I then attached it to the side of the faunarium with a mix of duct tape and sticky back plastic, and attached it to a thermostat which would help keep the temperature in the nursery constant. After checking the temperature requirements of all the slings I would be getting, I decided on setting the thermostat to between 76F and 78F.

With the heating sorted, humidity was my next concern. All my slings would need humidity of above 60% so I put in a small layer of vermiculite on the bottom of the faunarium, which I will keep moist to help with humidity. If I find that the pots are still too dry, I will be dropping in small droplets of water using a pipette to avoid drowning the slings. However, warm and humid conditions are perfect for mold growth, which can actually kill a spider.

I've only managed to acquire two pots, the others are coming with the slings, so I have filled them ready with Coco-Fibre, a popular substrate choice amongst tarantula keepers.

I've included some pictures, so you can see what I mean:


Click to Enlarge
The whole setup



Click to Enlarge
The sling pots



Click to Enlarge
The base of the faunarium

No comments:

Post a Comment